Saturday, October 6, 2012

Civil Religion and Election Year

If you have a few minutes do yourself a favor and head over to this blog: http://kingdomshalom.wordpress.com/2012/10/04/the-politics-of-the-kingdom-2/

The author is a high school chum of mine, a good seminary friend and a brother in Christ. His insights are very timely. Here is a little excerpt:  I question the narrative that one political party (either one, or even a new one) has its finger on the pulse of this nation, wants selflessly to meet the needs of the people, and can summon the resources to do this, if only elected through your allegiance.

One thing I think is helpful to do as a Christian is to tell it like it is. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. For many Americans and regretably, many so-called evangelical Christians, their true hope is found in politics and political parties and that of course, is idolatry. I've said is much on this blog, particularly on the 4th of July and I preached it just this past Sunday in church as we concluded our series on 1st John 5.13-21. I'm amazed how often people come to me and lament the language and negative energy so many devote to politics, especially this time of year. My response is always, "Well, it is their religion--what do you expect?"

Little children, keep yourselves from idols.

No comments: