Friday, April 20, 2012

Pastoral Theology IV: On the Mount

As a New Years resolution I decided to read the Sermon on the Mount every week for a year. I was captivated by an image of what my life might look like if my way of thinking and living was shaped by this body of teaching.

The fruition of that image still eludes me.

But today while reading through Friday's portion of the sermon, a passage stuck out that is very germane to a question I have been wrestling with for a few weeks. Namely, "how can I discern what ministry God is calling me to do here at this church as opposed to doing what is good and sounds good but really isn't God's will?"

A hefty question.

The passage is Matthew 7.21-23. This is the second to last thing Jesus has to say when he is delivering his sermon on the mount. After all of the new standards, after the Law has been reinterpreted and the bar raised; after the disciples are encouraged to be authentic in their faith and do so many different things in this world Jesus adds, "Oh yeah, don't count on this being what gets you into heaven."

The passage jumped out at me this morning because I have really been wrestling with that question as of late. There are many things that churches and ministers can get caught up doing that sound like a good idea and may even have a positive impact on the community but are they actually in line with the will of God?

I easily imagine that the those who were delivered from the bondage of demons felt that what the disciples did was a good thing; so too, I imagine that those who received healing (i.e. mighty works) praised God. All good things. To which Christ responds, "I never knew you."

I'm not overly worried by his declaration, at least not at this juncture in my life, but I am worried about their statement. "We did these things in your name" they claim. They actually claim the refuge of his name three times. The church, ostensibly, does its work in his name. But are we doing his work? The more I wrestle with this question...the more I feel like I'm just going in a circle. It is a bit of a sick-cycle carousel only not as enjoyable.

Specifically for pastors--how do we handle this work of discernment? I'm really looking for feedback on this one. How can we tell if what we are about is the will of God or really our will sugar coated in "good work"?

No comments: